It can be quite confusion when it comes to donating furniture to other people who may be in need of what you have no use for. This can be made even more confusing if you are looking to donate furniture to veterans. Veterans have been one of the many organizations these days that accept furniture donations aside from food and clothing. They operate anywhere in the world and are often made the topic of discussion among many donors worldwide. It has been known that they help every family who lie among the poverty level of the society they are a part of.
Some useful steps
When donating your furniture to veterans, you will need to follow these useful steps in order to be able to have the smoothest flow of transaction possible during the donation process.
- Once you have decided to donate your furniture, include as well any other things you may wish to donate, so you will be making your entire donation at once. Get all the things you want to donate in one place in your home where you can easily have it picked up by the organization you wish to donate with. Make sure that it is in a place near your gate, making it easier for those picking it up, particularly is you are donating some potentially heavy furniture.
- Separate the things that you think may no longer be useful to the person receiving your donation. When you get to donate, it is your job to make sure that everything you are giving can still be useful to others and is not just a piece of junk you no longer wish to have cluttering your home. To avoid this, you check first each and every thing you are intending to donate and separate it from those that would be better suited to the trash bin. It could be very inhumane on your part if you include in your donation things that are junk, for these are people like you that are receiving these things, in spite of how little they have, they still wish to have things that can be of use to them.
- When you are ready to get ahold of the organization, make sure that all your queries in regards to your donation are being well addressed. What you need to know includes first and foremost if they will pick up your furniture and on what schedule they can take your donation away. Make sure, as well, that they offer donation receipts that you can use during your income tax processing later on.
- When it comes to furniture, if you think that a minor repair could prolong the life of your furniture, then you should make the necessary repairs before donating it. There are organizations that would never accept any old, dirty or rickety furniture. Since they will be giving it to other people who have been hoping to acquire good and useful furniture, make sure that your furniture is truly functional and presentable for the receiving party. if you have furniture that is simply too old looking, but it still sturdy and useful, the simple fix is to repaint it to make it look nicer and cleaner. For the furniture that you know has fault, you should repair it first yourself or hire someone who could repair it in your stead.
- Once you are ready, look for ways that you can contact and donate furniture veterans organization in your area. They are most well known by other charitable institutions as well as politicians. Therefore, if you have no idea how to contact such an organization, you can easily go to your local government unit in search of numbers to contact them. You can also visit an online site wherein you can search if you can contact them online, or better yet, check your local radio or television stations. These institutions would surely know how to contact the organization you are in search of.
You may be wondering why you should be looking to donate to veterans rather than anyone else, and this question comes with a simple explanation. This non-profit organization has already been helping the most indigent families all over the world, especially to those countries whom they know are desperately in need of their support in terms of material possessions. Statistically, the poverty level has been continually increasing every minute worldwide. There are more people who never have the chance of acquiring very simple material things such as tables and dining chairs.
Thus, veterans and other charitable institutions that have operated for a non-profit have been instrumental in helping these people through facilitating sending out to them those things that others have donated. How to donate furniture to veterans is far from difficult if you only have the right ways on where and how you can contact then. So, when you get to donate more, make sure that you donate it to them and you can ask your friends to do the same as well.
What you can get in Return
You will not receive any material recognition in return for your donation, save for the donation receipt you can expect right after the donation is made. This receipt could then become a useful instrument for you, as you will be able to deduct the amount of the donation if the organization would issue a receipt to you from your taxes payable. Typically, most non-profit organizations give out donation receipts, as they are very well aware of the fact that it is useful to donors as well as it has become the standard operating procedure that should follow a donation. Therefore, when you are not so sure if the veterans, too, would issue receipts, then you should inquire about that when you contact them about your donation. Aside from the receipt, what you will receive in return is something that you will feel in your heart. The feeling of having made other people happy because of your donation is quite payment enough, and no amount of money can match that feeling of satisfaction. This is the reason that many people have chosen to donate their old furniture rather than sell it, so they can enjoy the self satisfying factor of having done a good deed.